Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Opera and hostages.

So far that's what I'm getting from Bel Canto (Ann Patchett). One hundred and ninety well-heeled party goers suddenly find themselves lying prone on the expensive carpet, held by earnest revolutionaries who had intended to abduct the country's president, but El Presidente stayed home to watch his favorite soap. Not sure I am completely enthralled with this one yet but of course, I'll stick it out.

Oh my gosh! It just hit me! Bel Canto is The Fifth Element! The enthralling opera singer, hostages in black tie; it's all there. But if at some point in Bel Canto they open the opera singer's stomach and pull out magical crystals I'm done. The Fifth Element is one of those movies I can watch again and again. Written by Luc Besson and based on a story idea he had as a child, it's a dizzying romp through time and space. Flying taxis! Alien shape-shifters! A beautiful innocent with orange hair (Milla Jovovich); an oddly amusing, sniffling bad guy (Gary Oldman) and a femme talk show host who blathers on hilariously at the speed of light (Chris Tucker). All this, plus Bruce Willis saving us all (again)!! How could it miss?

I also really loved Patchett's The Magician's Assistant. One moment in that story really sticks with me: the magician, while making gin and tonics out by the pool plucks a fresh lime from a potted tree and says how much he "loves living off the land." It also has a terrifying and very intense airplane scene. Do not read this book while flying. Her "scenes" are so vividly drawn I have the images in my mind as if they were from a film rather than a novel. Dang if that isn't true of all good writing.

1 comment:

Stacy Bednar said...

I LOVE this!! I can't wait to keep updated through my bookie--you! Is there an RSS feed on this thing?-stacy (an admirer of your lust for all things book!)